Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Moving Right Along

Since the last posting, we met with 2 people -- Chris who buys things to resell at flea markets and Craigslist and Jeff who buys old electronics for scrap metal.  Chris took a bunch of stuff out and paid us $25, and Jeff took a lot of crap out for $100.  Chris offered to either clean out our garage for $500, less the value of whatever he could resell, or for $500, no deductions, would clean out the entire house from top to bottom, including the attic.  I was ready to jump at this deal, but M who is a mild hoarder, absolutely refuses.  He insists on touching every single thing we own and will thus determine whether we can make more money by selling it ourselves or donating or (horrors!) keeping it.  So far, we've had a few arguments over his wanting to keep things like a 10 year old book on how to set up a computer security network and a ream of drab yellow business card paper that he thinks he might use in a year or 2.

So obviously, we are butting heads.  But it is all part of the journey and an excellent learning experience.  Hopefully we'll look back some day (much longer than needed if we continue to do things his way!) and laugh.  Although at the moment, I'd much prefer murder over humor.  But the learnings are for him, how to give up a lot of things (his argument about the book:  I only kept ONE book out of 2 full boxes!  Why that one, I'll never know) and for me: to be more patient and not get so incredibly stressed.  To keep reminding myself that this is a process - a journey.  We'll get there some day.

So meanwhile, we gave away (via Freecycle) about 4 items and sold 2.  Whoopie.  I so wish I could get rid of M for a week and hire Chris to come in and get rid of it all.  But M is so afraid that either he can get more money for things, or there's something he forgot he had but he really, really  needs!  Ok, I admit we found a long lost top of the line camping flashlight (which we could buy again for about $25).

On the household side of things, the work is still not done as the contractor had another more pressing job to finish first.  I told him there was no rush, as long as it all gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment