Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still hoping

We decided to pull out all stops and apply for a home equity line of credit.  We've been told by quite a number of professionals that if we sell as a fixer upper, we'll get lowballed, and that's what's happening.  Guess it really IS time to throw in the towel and fix up the place real nice so we can get a decent offer.

We were told by the bank today that our credit is too low, but the application will go the the committee.  Tomorrow an appraiser is doing a drive-by.  Fingers still crossed.

Meanwhile, we were also told by numerous independent people to get rid of the pool.  Most folks aren't like us who enjoy sitting poolside all hot summer; they'd prefer to see a wide open space.  I think that's where it's hitting M hardest - the reality of giving away (or selling) something we've enjoyed for so long is hard to face.  But he's dealing with it pretty well, especially when I remind him of the ultimate goal (and there will be pools and beaches and lakes to swim in in the next chapter).

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oh well :(

Didn't turn out as I had hoped.  The GC is looking for a house in the utmost pristine condition already, not willing to do a drop of work on his own.  He did, however, give us a reasonable price for getting just about everything done, but we still need to come up with $10-15K.  With lousy credit, not sure how we're gonna manage that - but I shall not give up yet!  If it's meant to be, it will.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Fingers crossed

Moving right along... the roof repair/replacement is done.  Still waiting for the flooring installer to get back with a quote.  Very interestingly, today I learned that the guy who owns the roofing company is also a GC (general contractor) who does pretty much any and everything.  I told him I wanted to get my house ready to sell and can he give me a quote on some stuff.  It turns out that not only is he in the market to buy a house, but he has been looking in my neighborhood!!!  (he looked at a house around the corner from me last weekend!).  He is going to come by on Sunday to talk some more.  I will pray and keep every body part crossed that rather than giving us a quote for the work, he will make us an offer (the last person I wrote about in my last post didn't work out; he wasn't looking to move here - only to buy a house to renovate and resell, so his offer was way, way too low; it wouldn't even cover the mortgage).  We're not looking for top dollar by any means - just enough to pay off the mortgage and a few medical bills, and will buy the rig with whatever's left over (or move into an apartment while we try to save up some more money).