I can't believe we have finally saved up enough money to get the first phase of the cosmetic repairs done on the house. We had the back yard cleaned up (it's been very sorely neglected for many years -- except by Mother Nature -- the weeds were about 5 feet high!), the 30 year old disgusting rust colored carpeting replaced with wood flooring in the living room, dining room and upstairs hallway, and the entranceway covered with sheetrock and painted. Next steps (when the next round of funds become available -- M must keep working!!!) is repairing the fence, repairing the brick steps and replacing the garage doors. We will try to do all the interior painting ourselves over the course of the next few months.
I have to say I'm not used to having contractors doing work. I freaked out yesterday when I came home and all my dining room furniture was piled into the kitchen! We had to eat out as we couldn't get to anything in there. I get anxiety attacks over the slightest bit of clutter (every paperclip needs to be in it's proper place!) so you can imagine how I'm feeling. But I'm trying desperately to stay in control -- just reminding myself that this is part of the process of getting the house ready to put on the market so we can sell and buy our RV and finally get to live out our dream.
Meanwhile, we have an appointment in a few days with a company that does estate/ moving/ tag sales. Every inch of our house has STUFF, 99% of which we don't need and can't take with us in the RV. There's just way too much more us to list individually for eBay or Craigslist, and I don't have the time or energy to have a full house garage sale on my own. This company will come in, organize everything into categories and hold the sale over a 3 day weekend (Fri-Sat-Sun). I just hope they don't run in fear when they see what's involved!!! Somehow, I suspect that this phase (of selling all our stuff) is going to be the hardest part emotionally, especially for M who is more of the pack rat. He totally understands that we need to do this, and verbally has accepted it, but I think when he actually sees things leaving the house (whether by sale, donation or trash), it will hit the hardest. But we shall see -- I'm sure I'll have more posts when we get to that stage.
Who knows, will this coming Spring (2013) be the year we can do this?
No comments:
Post a Comment