Tuesday, January 31, 2012

More work done

We're really stepping up our work - getting off the pot, so to speak.  Stairs leading to upstairs are all prepped and ready for staining.  One side of the hallway is patched and painted and the other side will be done this weekend.  Had someone in to measure the floors and will get our last quote tomorrow, then BOOKING IT.

Also put an ad on Craigslist about the house -- trying to find someone who likes to putter for a reduced price.  Actually got a nibble.  I wrote back saying I'm not interested in a low ball "we buy houses" kind of deal, and if that's what he had in mind, forget it.  But he wrote back saying he understood and that was not his intention and invited us to talk with him later to see if we can find a creative solution.  So... fingers crossed.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Made up our minds

From a previous post, you may recall that we were sitting on the fence between wanting a fifth wheel or Class A which provides nice living and storage space versus a class C which is smaller and allows us to drop and park pretty much anytime and anywhere.

We went to an RV show to look at the C's with an open mind.  Despite the great desire to park and drop whereever, we determined that we don't want to give up the extra space, especially the dresser in the bedroom.  And we really do need at least one desk.  So... fifth wheel it is.  Now.. to just sell the house.  Sigh.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Inching forward

With M working much more these days, there is just no time to get any of the improvement projects done.  I've decided to move ahead and contact a few contractors for cost estimates.  Hopefully it will come within the budget and we'll be able to hire someone to do some of the heavier work, such as laying the laminate floor and painting the entranceway.  Would love to get listed by the spring.

Meanwhile, starting to have 2nd thoughts about the type of RV we'll need.  We're really trying to get a good picture of what "a day in the life" will look like - what kind of setting will we live in mostly, how often will we need to move?  If M keeps his current job (which is the plan), we go wherever the work is, so it could be several times a week.  On Shabbat, we hope to stay at as many Chabad Houses as possible.  Hitching and unhitching, as well as finding a place to park a huge rig just doesn't seem practical.  We may need to consider living in a smaller Class C and giving up some of the luxury (like the fireplace and lots of leg and storage room).  Ultimately, one huge deciding factor will be how much we sell the house for and how much is left over for the purchase.  But also how we live needs to be considered as well.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Nothing new to report

Just a little update.  Have had the High Holidays and then building the sukkah take precedence over everything.  M continues to fix the outside stairs.  I thought that would take a day or 2; looks like a month or 2 long project for him.  Hopefully now that the holidays are almost over (next week we will take down the sukkah and finish cleaning up the pool deck), then we can devote our entire spare (ha ha!!) time to the inside - mostly replacing the flooring and painting.  I have taken on the task of putting all the giveaway stuff onto Craigslist.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Disappointment

Not that it should have come as such a surprise, but the folks who looked at the house last week couldn't even make an offer as it would have been too low for us to even pay off the mortgage.  I guess that's how all these "we buy ugly houses for cash" operations work.  Since we don't have the funds to hire contractors, and with both of us working (mostly) full time, we don't have the time to get all the improvements/repairs done, we were hoping to find someone who was willing to buy for a nice discount and take over the work themselves (we don't have to get top dollar -- just enough to pay off the mortgage, a few debts, have enough of a cushion for the first year, and obviously, enough to buy the rig and truck).  There's really nothing structurally wrong with the 30 yr old house - just needs a lot of aesthetic work like new flooring and painting.  Plus many of the rooms were used as offices or storage so they don't look very pristine as it should when showing it via a realtor.

We were also hoping to avoid a realtor as the closing costs and commission will greatly eat into whatever extra profit there might be.  But if we want to sell, we'll have to go that route.  Sigh.  As I always say, "God's will in God's time."

Monday, September 26, 2011

FIgured out the road map

Not sure if this is a good or bad character trait of mine (I suppose a little of both) - that I need to have every aspect of everything planned out to the max.  (At least I'm learning how to deal with the reality that nothing ever goes according to plan and not letting myself get too stressed out when I'm blown off track).  But that being said, I've been trying to figure out next steps once the house gets sold.  I don't really want to buy the rig and then park it somewhere near my office so that I can continue working.  That just defeats the entire purpose of full timing.  So here is what I think makes the most sense:

  1. sell the house and pay off mortgage and debts.
  2. Move to a small apartment near my workplace- either studio or 1 BR (to get used to living in a smaller space).  Furnished preferred, but we can keep some furniture if necessary.  Make sure it can be rented on a short term basis (ideal = 3 months at a time).
  3. Give boss heads up that I'll be leaving/retiring within a fixed period of time - which is as soon as we take delivery of the RV.
  4. While living in the apt - do serious shopping around for the RV and truck (money to buy it should be in the bank from proceeds of house sale).
  5. Be ready to start our new chapter as soon as we take delivery of the vehicles -- when we drive it off the lot!!!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Moving ahead?

We have someone coming to look at the house tomorrow.  It's actually a company called HomeVestors (aka "We Buy Ugly Houses").  But they seem to fall into the strategy we have anyway - which is to sell the house at a discounted rate for someone who will take over the repairs and upgrades.  This company specializes in that.  Will they come up with an insult or a good offer?  Time will tell.  Of course, if it IS a good offer, we have to wait until at least January 2012 as we have a contract with a realtor until then.