Sunday, July 29, 2012

Update

Now it's August and things are moving along at the usual slow pace.  We've managed to save nearly $6K, certainly enough for the upstairs painting and laying the floor and maybe even replacing the garage doors. But M wants to build a bigger cushion, especially since he's facing knee surgery (torn meniscus) and may be out of work for a week or 2.  While in FL about a month ago, I dislocated my hip (the one that was replaced) so on top of M's surgery bills, we have those new medical bills to deal with.  Also, the van needs a new windshield and the car is acting kind of funny lately.

On a more positive note, however, we have an appointment tomorrow with a company that does estate / moving sales. They've been around for a long time and I really like their business model.  Their commission is a bit higher than most (but they don't take a flat fee) but it's still more $ than I'd make if I just threw everything out and I have way too much stuff to sell on my own via Craigslist or whatever.  Perhaps if we can set a definitive date to do this sale, it'll put the fire under us.  Other than not having money to fix up the house for a good sale, we're tending to slip into procrastination land and not doing anything productive.  Perhaps cleaning out a significant amount of stuff will help move us on the way.  Of course, we're aware that this will be one of the hardest parts of the process on an emotional level.

I also took the first steps in forming my new business which I hope will provide some income while on the road.  It will only be part time now while I'm still (thankfully) still employed full time, but my goal is that when we're ready to buy the RV, I can offer my virtual services to my boss.  My website is www.AZAdminSolutions.com.  My immediate plan is to network locally.  I need to stay away from social media as I don't want anyone in my company finding out about this yet and it's too small a world.

So in retrospect, perhaps we are not really sitting on our tushies after all.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dream put on hold

We were unable to come up with the financing needed to get the house in shape to sell.  All avenues exhausted.  I guess it's just not meant to be at this time.  I'm also under threat of losing my job, which in a way could be a good thing because I'm on the brink of starting a virtual business (in preparation for RV living), so this would give me more time to focus on getting it up & running.  Just not sure how I'd pay all the bills until then.  But I'll just cross each bridge as I get to them.  God has always provided and I'm faithful that He will continue to do so.  There is a reason all these obstacles are being thrown in our path.  And it's not like it isn't the first time in our lives this has happened.  Life has been a perpetual series of ups and downs.

Not giving up on the dream.  Just going to take it slowly and continue to do as much as we can, one day at a time - even if it takes 5 or more years to get there.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still hoping

We decided to pull out all stops and apply for a home equity line of credit.  We've been told by quite a number of professionals that if we sell as a fixer upper, we'll get lowballed, and that's what's happening.  Guess it really IS time to throw in the towel and fix up the place real nice so we can get a decent offer.

We were told by the bank today that our credit is too low, but the application will go the the committee.  Tomorrow an appraiser is doing a drive-by.  Fingers still crossed.

Meanwhile, we were also told by numerous independent people to get rid of the pool.  Most folks aren't like us who enjoy sitting poolside all hot summer; they'd prefer to see a wide open space.  I think that's where it's hitting M hardest - the reality of giving away (or selling) something we've enjoyed for so long is hard to face.  But he's dealing with it pretty well, especially when I remind him of the ultimate goal (and there will be pools and beaches and lakes to swim in in the next chapter).

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oh well :(

Didn't turn out as I had hoped.  The GC is looking for a house in the utmost pristine condition already, not willing to do a drop of work on his own.  He did, however, give us a reasonable price for getting just about everything done, but we still need to come up with $10-15K.  With lousy credit, not sure how we're gonna manage that - but I shall not give up yet!  If it's meant to be, it will.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Fingers crossed

Moving right along... the roof repair/replacement is done.  Still waiting for the flooring installer to get back with a quote.  Very interestingly, today I learned that the guy who owns the roofing company is also a GC (general contractor) who does pretty much any and everything.  I told him I wanted to get my house ready to sell and can he give me a quote on some stuff.  It turns out that not only is he in the market to buy a house, but he has been looking in my neighborhood!!!  (he looked at a house around the corner from me last weekend!).  He is going to come by on Sunday to talk some more.  I will pray and keep every body part crossed that rather than giving us a quote for the work, he will make us an offer (the last person I wrote about in my last post didn't work out; he wasn't looking to move here - only to buy a house to renovate and resell, so his offer was way, way too low; it wouldn't even cover the mortgage).  We're not looking for top dollar by any means - just enough to pay off the mortgage and a few medical bills, and will buy the rig with whatever's left over (or move into an apartment while we try to save up some more money).

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

More work done

We're really stepping up our work - getting off the pot, so to speak.  Stairs leading to upstairs are all prepped and ready for staining.  One side of the hallway is patched and painted and the other side will be done this weekend.  Had someone in to measure the floors and will get our last quote tomorrow, then BOOKING IT.

Also put an ad on Craigslist about the house -- trying to find someone who likes to putter for a reduced price.  Actually got a nibble.  I wrote back saying I'm not interested in a low ball "we buy houses" kind of deal, and if that's what he had in mind, forget it.  But he wrote back saying he understood and that was not his intention and invited us to talk with him later to see if we can find a creative solution.  So... fingers crossed.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Made up our minds

From a previous post, you may recall that we were sitting on the fence between wanting a fifth wheel or Class A which provides nice living and storage space versus a class C which is smaller and allows us to drop and park pretty much anytime and anywhere.

We went to an RV show to look at the C's with an open mind.  Despite the great desire to park and drop whereever, we determined that we don't want to give up the extra space, especially the dresser in the bedroom.  And we really do need at least one desk.  So... fifth wheel it is.  Now.. to just sell the house.  Sigh.