Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dream put on hold

We were unable to come up with the financing needed to get the house in shape to sell.  All avenues exhausted.  I guess it's just not meant to be at this time.  I'm also under threat of losing my job, which in a way could be a good thing because I'm on the brink of starting a virtual business (in preparation for RV living), so this would give me more time to focus on getting it up & running.  Just not sure how I'd pay all the bills until then.  But I'll just cross each bridge as I get to them.  God has always provided and I'm faithful that He will continue to do so.  There is a reason all these obstacles are being thrown in our path.  And it's not like it isn't the first time in our lives this has happened.  Life has been a perpetual series of ups and downs.

Not giving up on the dream.  Just going to take it slowly and continue to do as much as we can, one day at a time - even if it takes 5 or more years to get there.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Still hoping

We decided to pull out all stops and apply for a home equity line of credit.  We've been told by quite a number of professionals that if we sell as a fixer upper, we'll get lowballed, and that's what's happening.  Guess it really IS time to throw in the towel and fix up the place real nice so we can get a decent offer.

We were told by the bank today that our credit is too low, but the application will go the the committee.  Tomorrow an appraiser is doing a drive-by.  Fingers still crossed.

Meanwhile, we were also told by numerous independent people to get rid of the pool.  Most folks aren't like us who enjoy sitting poolside all hot summer; they'd prefer to see a wide open space.  I think that's where it's hitting M hardest - the reality of giving away (or selling) something we've enjoyed for so long is hard to face.  But he's dealing with it pretty well, especially when I remind him of the ultimate goal (and there will be pools and beaches and lakes to swim in in the next chapter).

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Oh well :(

Didn't turn out as I had hoped.  The GC is looking for a house in the utmost pristine condition already, not willing to do a drop of work on his own.  He did, however, give us a reasonable price for getting just about everything done, but we still need to come up with $10-15K.  With lousy credit, not sure how we're gonna manage that - but I shall not give up yet!  If it's meant to be, it will.

Friday, February 17, 2012

Fingers crossed

Moving right along... the roof repair/replacement is done.  Still waiting for the flooring installer to get back with a quote.  Very interestingly, today I learned that the guy who owns the roofing company is also a GC (general contractor) who does pretty much any and everything.  I told him I wanted to get my house ready to sell and can he give me a quote on some stuff.  It turns out that not only is he in the market to buy a house, but he has been looking in my neighborhood!!!  (he looked at a house around the corner from me last weekend!).  He is going to come by on Sunday to talk some more.  I will pray and keep every body part crossed that rather than giving us a quote for the work, he will make us an offer (the last person I wrote about in my last post didn't work out; he wasn't looking to move here - only to buy a house to renovate and resell, so his offer was way, way too low; it wouldn't even cover the mortgage).  We're not looking for top dollar by any means - just enough to pay off the mortgage and a few medical bills, and will buy the rig with whatever's left over (or move into an apartment while we try to save up some more money).

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

More work done

We're really stepping up our work - getting off the pot, so to speak.  Stairs leading to upstairs are all prepped and ready for staining.  One side of the hallway is patched and painted and the other side will be done this weekend.  Had someone in to measure the floors and will get our last quote tomorrow, then BOOKING IT.

Also put an ad on Craigslist about the house -- trying to find someone who likes to putter for a reduced price.  Actually got a nibble.  I wrote back saying I'm not interested in a low ball "we buy houses" kind of deal, and if that's what he had in mind, forget it.  But he wrote back saying he understood and that was not his intention and invited us to talk with him later to see if we can find a creative solution.  So... fingers crossed.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Made up our minds

From a previous post, you may recall that we were sitting on the fence between wanting a fifth wheel or Class A which provides nice living and storage space versus a class C which is smaller and allows us to drop and park pretty much anytime and anywhere.

We went to an RV show to look at the C's with an open mind.  Despite the great desire to park and drop whereever, we determined that we don't want to give up the extra space, especially the dresser in the bedroom.  And we really do need at least one desk.  So... fifth wheel it is.  Now.. to just sell the house.  Sigh.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Inching forward

With M working much more these days, there is just no time to get any of the improvement projects done.  I've decided to move ahead and contact a few contractors for cost estimates.  Hopefully it will come within the budget and we'll be able to hire someone to do some of the heavier work, such as laying the laminate floor and painting the entranceway.  Would love to get listed by the spring.

Meanwhile, starting to have 2nd thoughts about the type of RV we'll need.  We're really trying to get a good picture of what "a day in the life" will look like - what kind of setting will we live in mostly, how often will we need to move?  If M keeps his current job (which is the plan), we go wherever the work is, so it could be several times a week.  On Shabbat, we hope to stay at as many Chabad Houses as possible.  Hitching and unhitching, as well as finding a place to park a huge rig just doesn't seem practical.  We may need to consider living in a smaller Class C and giving up some of the luxury (like the fireplace and lots of leg and storage room).  Ultimately, one huge deciding factor will be how much we sell the house for and how much is left over for the purchase.  But also how we live needs to be considered as well.